I must say... for me, the first trimester FLEW by! I guess it's because the first four weeks go by without you "officially" knowing you are pregnant. Even though I was one of those who just "knew", even though the Hubs thought I was just a "wishful-thinker"...Then there were those next four weeks where we had this amazing awesome secret that we were too scared to tell anyone until we confirmed via ultrasound and got to see the little baby. Thus, you are really left with a 4-week period of basking in your new-pregnancy-ness before the second trimester starts.
I've seen lots of ladies compile a 1st Trimester Must-Have list. Early-on in pregnancy I
Anyway, the list is what you're really here for right? In no particular order, here is my list of must-haves for the 1st Trimester...
1. Comfy bra! Around week 7-ish, I bought the seamless, no under-wire, but still padded ones from Target and I wear them every single day. My breasts were VERY sore and tender and the old faithful under wire bra just wasn't going to cut it for much longer. I definitely recommend investing in a couple of these, especially for those first few very tender weeks.
2. Heating Pad. My back and tailbone were sore right from the beginning (and still continue to be). I used the heating pad while relaxing on the couch, during naps and at night. There are mixed feelings regarding heated objects during pregnancy but according to most docs basically anything that doesn't raise your body temperature is ok. I would stay away from hot tubs though ;)
3. Shea Butter Lotion. I cannot stand the smell of cocoa butter. It literally makes me gag (pregnant or not!). When I found this St. Ives Shea butter and oatmeal lotion, it was like a little slice of heaven. I lather this stuff on twice a day. I also use the baby oil gel after every shower. I don't know that it will help to prevent stretch marks, but I'm willing to try anything...so far, so good!
4. Cute cup with straw and lid. This is more for me at work. We are not allowed to carry cups around the hospital without a lid. It is important for me to have water available to me at all times. (Especially since I crave it like a crazy person most of the time). These cute "cool gear" cups are not only cute, but they are also insulated to keep your drinks cold for a crazy-long time. They also do not "sweat" so they are safe to have around paperwork or other items on your desk.
5. Reading Material. My bestie recommended I NOT read "What to expect when you're expecting" as it pretty much gives you the worst-case scenarios for terrible awful things that will likely (and hopefully!!) never happen to you or your baby. Instead, she recommended I read "Your pregnancy week by week". I love it. It gives weekly updates as to how both the baby and you are growing. It gives size comparisons to fruit- which come on, I am a RD, so I LOVE that :) It also gives you helpful information and tips as you read. LOVE this book!
6. Be Band. When you can no longer comfortably button your pants but can't fit into maternity pants yet. These little suckers will be your best friend. I have them in black and white and wear them everyday (unless I am wearing scrubs). I should also include lots of pony tail holders in with the Be Band as well. You will need one of those little suckers to hold your non-maternity pants up daily once you can't button them comfortably anymor! :)
7. Crackers of any kind. Although I was blessed to not have morning sickness, there were quite a few times I woke up feeling nauseated. Crackers of any kind: saltines, cheese its, goldfish...they were lifesavers. I would recommend having some with you at all times. (I'm serious- next to your bed, in the car, in your purse, in your desk... you get the picture!)
8. Mio. Love this stuff. I have tried just about every flavor and love every one of them. Good to help you feel like you're indulging in something other than water every once in a while. AND no calories no sugar. Can't beat that!
9. Maternity pillow. I broke down and spent the $44.95 at Baby's R Us on this pillow between week 10-11. By the end of the day my hips and knees were sore and it was difficult for me to get comfortable enough to sleep. This pillow is amazing. Best $44 I ever spent.
10. Prunes. Sometimes you just need them. I don't think I need to go into detail do I?!?!?
11. Comfy pants. Again, doesn't really need a big explanation. Invest in some. I got mine from Target and they are the BOMB. I think they are the Guilligan and O'Malley brand and are dark grey with white stripes. I change into them every day after work and also sleep in them. They also don't shrink after washing and drying... double bonus!
12. Supportive Hubby and adorable dog. This should technically be my #1, but since this list is in no particular order I guess they can stay here. These two guys have been so awesome....from me crying at a drop of a hat, to being extremely tired and not able to drag myself off the couch. They've been there by my side and I love them HUGELY for it.
13. Face Wash cloths. Some nights it took all my energy to drag myself off the couch and into the bedroom. On those nights, these cloths were clutch. I have been breaking out (A LOT!) since this pregnancy began so I hated the thought of keeping makeup on my face overnight. With these little suckers- problem solved!
Hope this list helps you out. For those of you who are moms or moms-to-be, do you agree or disagree with this list? For those of you who are trying or who just were curious, hope you enjoyed as well ;)
My best advice is to just play around and see what works for you. I told my friend, Emily, about the pillow, but it hasn't helped her to sleep better at all, sorry Em! :( Everyone is different and everyone benefits from different things. Good luck!
Hope this list helps you out. For those of you who are moms or moms-to-be, do you agree or disagree with this list? For those of you who are trying or who just were curious, hope you enjoyed as well ;)
My best advice is to just play around and see what works for you. I told my friend, Emily, about the pillow, but it hasn't helped her to sleep better at all, sorry Em! :( Everyone is different and everyone benefits from different things. Good luck!
2 comments:
Great list!
YOu are going to need that Comfy bra in the 2nd and 3rd tri too, when your belly gets big and it starts pushing into your underwire.
The Be Band is great the whole time also... next you will need it when you buy maternity pants b/c you want to get them a little big so you can wear them your whole pregnancy, then in the 3rd tri it nice when your back is hurting for a little extra support and sometimes as a cover up when you are about to pop and your maternity shirts seem too short. and then after you have the baby till you can button your pre-preggo clothes again. :)
Thanks Katherine! Thanks also for the info about wearing the Be Band with maternity pants. Leslie gave me a bunch of maternity clothes but I did notice that the belly part is still too big (even though super comfy!) I will try using the band with them until I grow into them! Great tip!! :)
Post a Comment