Part 3 starts off at week three of our journey and we started off feeling super refreshed and like we had turned a corner.
They say once your child "gets it" and it "clicks" you are good to go. We can definitely attest to this. It was almost like we saw a lightbulb go off in Trey's little head! He went from sitting on the potty and then getting up and having an accident a few minutes later, to 1. Telling us he had to go and 2. Going right when he sat on the potty! We were SO excited!
Week 3 he had minimal accidents (0-2 per day) and most of the times one of those accidents was a poop accident as he had only pooped on the potty a handful of times.
He had many days this week where he stayed dry all day and it felt AMAZING!!!
Trey started to tell us when he would have to go and we would go to the bathroom and he would go on the potty right away. Every day he would go on the potty a ton of times and pretty much go every time he sat on the potty which was awesome.
He continues to wear pull-ups for naps and nighttime but he thinks they are underwear so he will only potty in them if he is asleep and he will tell us that he needs to go potty even when he is wearing one of these- score!
He has also started to poop on the potty more- thank goodness- which is amazing!
We are still hit or miss with using the potty away from home. He will not sit on a big potty yet (without the little seat attached). We are letting him sit on the potty at home without the seat to get him used to it so hopefully that will help. He had a couple accidents while we were at the Toler's last weekend and he also had an accident while out to eat this weekend (on Daddy's lap- oops!).
He will do well sitting on the little potty in the back of the car, so I just make sure we always have it with us.
We are SO SO SO SO SO proud of Trey and to think we almost took a break!
What I've learned:
It's really hard. I have been pregnant, given birth and nursed a baby- this was the hardest thing I have done thus far as a parent, hands down.
Little boys cannot hold it. If they say they have to go, you better have a potty right there, end of story.
Little boys pee. goes.everywhere. Over the potty, through the lid, on the floor, on their feet, down their leg, on you if you're not careful. I am looking forward to Trey learning to stand and pee that's for sure!
If little boys (and probably girls too) are super squirmy on the potty, they probably have to poop. Try to get them to stay on there a while and they will likely go.
It is so much easier (and better for everyone involved) to just take off their underwear and pants when they go at first. They have no control of where the pee goes and it seriously goes everywhere. Do yourselves a favor and just take them off to minimize mess (and laundry)!
If you know your child is truly ready to be potty trained, don't give up. No matter how badly you want to give up and it will be worth it. I cried a few days (seriously!) but I'm SO glad we stuck with it.
I believe in pull-ups for sleep time (but my child also does not knowingly pee in his pull-up so we plan on continuing him thinking they are underwear for as long as it will work!). I think it will still be a while before he can hold it for a nap but especially overnight.
I don't think we are totally in the clear yet with being completely training, but I can truthfully say at this point I feel like Trey is 95% trained. He is having minimal accidents (and when he does have one it is usually poop). We are still having to remind him a lot to go and we still don't feel like we can trust him out of our sight for too long, but we are SO proud of how far he has come. This has been a solid month's worth of work for us but it has totally paid off!!!
2 comments:
Way to go Trey you are such a BIG BOY!!
We called pull-ups, night time underwear :) And they had to taken off as soon as you woke up.
Also I love seeing Trey in my boys hand me downs. Reece has put aside a pair of Christmas PJs for trey that he just out grew :)
I am so proud of Trey-such a big boy! And I sure learned fast how to find kid videos on my phone for potty time! I love you all
Post a Comment