I took this table when I moved out of my mama's house (nearly 10 years ago), for college. She had owned it for as long as I could remember and had bought it from the Bombay Co. (when it will still open in Cortana mall, nonetheless). This is what it looked like before...
I kept the table this way through multiple apartment moves and then when we moved into our home. Earlier this year, I FINALLY got the time (and the motivation) to re-do it, which I had been wanting to do for quite some time. So, I drug the table into the garage and got started. First, I took it apart and sanded all the pieces down. (sorry, no pics of this).
I was planning on distressing the table and wanted a dark brown color to show through when I roughed it up. After the sanding, putting it back together and painting the table brown (with some old paint we had laying around), I decided the table was not "brown enough". I was frustrated (and lazy), so instead of going out to buy more paint, I simply used a dark brown stain over the light brown color. A little unconventional I know, but the result was perfect.
Next, I painted two coats of "Jefferson White" Valspar paint on the table and the fun began! While the paint was still a little tacky to the touch, I grabbed a hammer and some shears and went to town. I banged and scratched until I was happy with the results.
Here's a close-up of the distressed table. I simply love the way it came out.
AND..here it is again. It sits in our living room, under the beautiful painting we bought at the Janelle LaCombe Memorial this year. I just love the way it came out and it has really inspired me to paint more, so watch out night stands and coffee tables'cuz I'm comin' for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment