Sunday, July 14, 2013

MawMaw Mildred's Pickles

You may recall from my Father's Day post that we recently went to Froberg Farms to get some fresh produce. 

I mainly wanted to go to get the little mister some fresh fruits and vegetables to make his food from. Well for a while now, Hubby has wanted to make some pickles. His mom has a super delicious recipe and he has been wanting to try it out. While at Froberg's, we came across pickling cucumbers (they look like miniature versions of cucumbers). Hubby called up his mom and decided he would buy some to try his hand at MawMaw's famous pickles...


I wish I would have taken step by step photos of the pickling process, but blogging has not been my priority lately so I just didn't think of it until I sat down to write this post.

Anyway, Jim started the pickling process Sunday night when he washed and sliced the cucumbers. I would call the slice thickness medium. Not too thin but not too thick. A little thicker than a pickle you would buy at the store.

He had a fantastic helper with his son, AKA Mr Teether, who decided he would grab one and give it a gnaw! I'm sure the cold cucumber felt great on his poor little gums.

I like to think the cucumber helped his first little tooth pop out a few days later!


After the cucumbers were sliced, they were placed in a big plastic bin filled with water and pickling lime and allowed to marinate overnight. After they marinated, they were soaked in an ice bath for an hour then boiled on the stove with vinegar and pickling spices. 

I will have to say the smell in the house got pretty intense at this point. Thankfully, it was nearing 3's bedtime, so I took him in the back to rock him while Daddy-o cooked away in the kitchen. 

After cooking, the pickles came out looking exactly like MawMaw's!

Jim was SO proud. The best part? They also tasted exactly like hers!!

Here are the finished products in all their pickly-glory. We ended up with five pint jars of pickles! We were a little conservative with the amount of cucumbers we bought because we didn't want to waste a lot of money if they turned out to be a bust.


Hubby tells me the recipe is a top secret family recipe or I would share. BUT if you really want to know the recipe, just let me know and we will get it to you! :)


Here's to making MawMaw proud!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

The pickles look delicious! Can't wait to taste them! I love you all

Marissa said...

Oh YUMMY!!!!!!