We began our re-do of our master bath in early October 2014 (yes, it's taken me almost a year to post these!!!). The bathroom has always driven me crazy with it's outdated cabinets, fancy Hollywood lights and sea shell sinks. BUT, it wasn't really a priority since it was fully functional just old.
The shower door had never fully closed since we moved in 6 years ago and the fancy Jacuzzi tub had so much gross-ness growing inside of the jets I refused to turn it on or let Trey near it. We would clean it and clean it and clean it then it would build right back up again and so it wasn't even worth trying to use it anymore.
The shower was another story. Like I mentioned before, the door never totally closed and there was so much mold growing inside the frame of the shower that we couldn't get cleaner down deep enough to clean it out.
One night I just got super grossed out and fed up with it and started talking to Jim about it. He agreed and next thing I knew we were making plans. It all started with replacing the shower glass but if we were going to do that, we would replace the shower pan as well and make our shower larger (it was ridiculously small)! Which led to the fact that we would likely break some tiles in the process so we would need to re-do the floors in the bathroom too. If we were re-doing the floors and the shower we might as well get rid of the nasty tub and get one we can actually use. If were doing all that, we might as well finally get rid of the nasty sinks and cabinets...etc. etc. which led to us completely gutting the bathroom and starting over!!!
I was PUMPED to say the least. I could not WAIT to get started and I didn't have to wait very long. That very night Jim had me get on Pinterest and give him some ideas of what I wanted.
The first thing I knew I wanted was grey and white in color. I knew I wanted it to be light, bright, and airy and just clean looking. I also knew I wanted oval shaped mirrors and a claw foot tub. The tub provided a challenge but we ended up finding one on Craigslist that was in excellent condition!!!
Of course a lot of my ideas had to be reigned in because I was reminded over and over again that this is not our "forever" house and I could do whatever I wanted when we build our own house one day.
This man knows me SO well. I gave him minimal input and he brought home these beauties from their design center at work. It was EXACTLY what I wanted except I knew I wanted the cabinets to have some antiquing on them.
He got with his cabinet company and they made this sample for me and it was exactly what I wanted!
The plan was to have the bathroom completely done by Thanksgiving (as we were having out of town guests over and we didn't want to have to all share one bathroom). Well, we started the demo on October 1 and by Thanksgiving we had had quite a few hiccups along the way, but the shower and toilet were functional and the bathroom was mostly done. We totally finished the bathroom in January...whomp whomp... but hey at least it was done and we are SO in love with it (well, minus the tub, but thats a story for another post).
It took us a lot longer than it should have because we did a lot ourselves and had to work around nap and sleep schedules and of course work also.
I will go through the day by day demo to show you how it all went down...
Day 1:
Started demo. We took out the shower glass. I helped a lot :)
Day 2:
Nap time demo! We removed all the marble tub surround, counters/sinks, medicine cabinet and mirror! We also bought the plumbing fixtures!
Our little helper woke up and helped a little bit too :)
Day 3:
Jim removed the cabinets, frame from around the tub, and one wall of the shower.
Day 4:
Jim removed the tub, finished removing the shower tile and removed all the floor tile. Boy do we have a mess now! What a nice surprise to come home to!!
Day 5:
Demo after Trey went to sleep...we picked up all the tile from the floor and shop-vac'd the remaining mess. We also finished cleaning out our closet and moved everything to the guest room! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Day 6 and 7:
We finished demo- yay!! Jim pulled out he frame around the tub, the guys came over and helped him move the beast of a tub out. We also picked up the remaining floor tile and pulled out the toilet. We picked up our new tub in Sulphur on our way home!!!
Once the bathroom demo was done, we started on construction which was way more fun (in my opinion). Stay tuned for those pictures!
1 comment:
What a difference-your new bathroom is lovely! I love you all
Post a Comment