Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Auntie Love

I never really knew if I would ever be an aunt. Being an only child, I loved spending time with my 15 first cousins and aunts and uncles. I often wondered if I would ever get the opportunity to have any nieces and nephews spend the night, or spoil them rotten, or buy them sussies their parents refused. It sometimes made me sad that I might never get that chance.

One day when I was in High School and I had an epiphany- I knew the answer! It was as simple as marrying someone who had siblings. Voila! Instant family! So as I got older, I made sure to add "siblings" to my must-have list in potential husbands....

Well if a spouse with siblings was a must, I hit the jackpot. By marrying the Hubster, I not only inherited a great mother-in-law, but I got a brother in law, two fabulous sister-in-laws (and soon to be one more!!) and two beautiful nieces. When the Hubster and I started dating in 2007, "the girls" as our nieces are always referred to as, were 9 and 11 (if I remember correctly...) and I immediately fell in love with them. I yearned for the day when I would go from being Miss Liz to Aunt Liz. The day we got engaged and called his family to tell them the good news the girls immediately referred to me as Aunt Liz and I was overjoyed.

Mary and Sara after a dance recital (2007).
Sara, Mary and I-August 21, 2010. (They read the prayers of the faithful in our wedding)

In 2009, the same year we got engaged, our best friends also found out they were pregnant with their first child! I was elated- not only for them but I was thrilled knowing I would once again get to be an aunt! As my BF's pregnancy progressed and her due date got closer and closer, she and her husband asked us to be the baby's godparents! I was beyond excited. I adore my godparents and love them as if they were my actual parents. I was so happy to be able to continue that tradition with "BT" (this is what we called the baby because her parents kept her name a surprise until she was born!)

This picture was taken right before we left for the hospital for Adelle's BIG Birthday.


When Adelle (formerly known as BT) finally made her grand entrance into this world on June 22,2010, I had the opportunity to be there at my BF's side (along with her Hubby, of course). On that day, I was so happy I felt like my heart was going to explode...and I love her more and more each day.

The first time I got to hold Adelle- in the delivery room <3
I can't believe she was once this small... June 23,2010 (1 day old)

The Hubster and I try to spend as much time with all three of our girls as we can. Although it is sometimes tough to see Mary and Sara ( we live 4 hours away), we do see them many times a year. We also try to send them little sussies periodically just to let them know we're thinking of them. Adelle and her parents live about 5 minutes from us so we usually do not go over a week without seeing her. She also spends quite a few nights at our house as we steal her away from her parents every chance we get!

Dellie and I at a birthday party this year
Someone was excited about money!! :) (Sara- Christmas 2009)

Mary opening gifts (Christmas 2009)

I must say, being an aunt is not how I thought it would be... It is much much better than I could have ever imagined. Although we definitely want children one day, these three little girls will always have very special places in both mine and the Hubster's hearts.

ANDDDDDDD, I am THRILLED to finally be able to say, I will get to be an aunt again in April 2012!! Congratulations to our very best friends, Kevin and Leslie and Adelle, who will get to be a big sister. We love y'all BIG!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my baby #2 how fun!! Congrats Kevin & Leslie

Stephanie Y. said...

That's so exciting! Congrats!! Also, I definitely and totally concur about Aunt-dom. It's the greatest.