Monday, February 18, 2013

Little guy's BIG week

Last week was very busy for our little guy. 

On Wednesday, we went to The Clinical Care Center at Texas Children's Hospital to see a dermatologist. When Trey was about a month old, we noticed a little spot on his booty (in his little crack, for lack of a better way to describe it). I showed it to Dr. Pocsik and at the time, she couldn't really tell if it was the beginnings of diaper rash or a hemangioma. She told me then, just to watch it. Well, at his two month checkup, it was still there and had grown, so she referred us to a pediatric dermatologist just to be safe. 

I cannot say enough good things about Texas Children's. I love the fact that we live so close to the medical center and that our doctors here use those resources when they feel appropriate. We saw Dr. Wright (who is actually the chief of dermatology) there. She was great, very personable and made us feel very much at ease. She diagnosed Trey as having a hemangioma (like Dr. Pocsik thought). She said it is harmless and most hemangiomas reach their largest growth by about 4-6 months of age and from there, they usually begin to fade or reabsorb. Dr. Wright said Trey's is nothing to worry about and that we should just use a barrier cream with every diaper change to ensure we are keeping the area moist to prevent breakdown. Sometimes these hemangiomas that are in very sensitive areas can become irritated and open up, and we definitely don't want that to happen.

Trey did great at his appointment! He slept the whole way to the medical center then woke up to eat just as we were parking. I nursed him then we headed up to our appointment where he smiled and flirted with both the doctors that we saw. He slept the whole way home and got hungry again right before we made it back home. We were very proud of him. 

We have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Wright on May 13th and hopefully that will be just as good of a checkup for the little guy. Oh and by the way, Trey weighed in a a whopping 13.4 lbs!

Wednesday was also Ash Wednesday and I was planning on going to mass when we got home. There was a chapel in the Clinical Care Center where his appointment was, so both Trey and I were able to get my ashes. I admit I was a little surprised they gave him ashes, but nonetheless, he looked pretty cute snoozing in his car seat on the way home with them on his little forehead.

On Thursday, we decided to transition Trey from the pack-n-play in our room to his crib in his own room. I was very nervous about this and very apprehensive about moving him, but I was brave and he did really well. The first night in his crib, he slept in it from 11 pm to 5:30 when he woke up to eat! We were so proud of him. We were expecting a little transition time but he did great with no issue. He has been sleeping in his crib at night time ever since and has just woken up two nights to eat once in the middle of the night. All the other nights, he slept straight through. 

He is definitely enjoying sleeping in a bigger space. When I check the monitor during the night, he is always sleeping in a different position. Emily described this as Jolie doing the "pinwheel" and I really can't think of a better description. It is really fun to go get him in the morning to see what position he is sleeping in or to see where his head ended up over night. I definitely see why it's recommended that you don't put anything in the crib with a baby, this little wiggle worm is ALL OVER THE PLACE! We are so proud of him sleeping in his crib like a big boy and so blessed to have such a good sleeper! We hope this continues!

On Sunday, after mass, we were hanging out on the floor and Trey was laying on his play mat playing with all his hanging toys. Next thing we know, he had rolled over onto his side (which he has been doing off and on for about a month). Then, he flipped all the way over onto his tummy! We were so proud, we were cheering and trying to video and take pictures of him. He just could not figure out how to get his arm out from underneath him and started to get frustrated. We are definitely going to continue working on this and I assume we will have a full roller very very soon!

To cap off this busy week, today is my last day home with Trey. It is definitely bittersweet as I do love my job and all the people I work with very much. As much as I love them and miss going to work, I love Trey 100000000000x more and will be very sad leaving him. A good friend of ours is going to keep him for us while we are at work, so that is the only thing that really helps me to feel better about leaving him. I know he will be in the most capable of hands!

Today, I am just soaking up every moment with him (and using nap time to blog!) We ran some errands this morning and apparently he was pretty worn out because this is how he fell asleep when I took him out of his car seat  And of course, I just let him sleep on me ;)


I promise to blog about my first week back at work. Thank you to everyone who gave me tips and tricks to make the transition a little easier! Please keep us in your prayers tomorrow!

3 comments:

Blondie said...

That lil' bugger is just grown' like a weed with all that really good mama milk!!!

Yes you'll miss him but won't coming home to him be sooooo much fun - all that snuggling & smooching . . .

Special prayers of comfort for you tomorrow but I know all will be well!!!

Janie

Cindy said...

You are so right-Trey will be in excellent hands while you and Jim are at work. You will be surprised how fast your work day will go by. The little guy will be so excited to see you when you pick him up and I am sure will give you one of his gorgeous smiles! I love you all

Unknown said...

I hope you and Trey's day went well. I was praying for yall!!