Saturday, January 28, 2012

Grounded In Sugar


Yes, I am a Registered Dietitian. Yes, I am now addicted to Raw Sugar (thanks to my mama and g'mama).

I have always seen the pretty little brown packages at places like Starbucks and other select restaurants with the stamp of "raw sugar" placed on the label. I grew up as a "sugar girl". When we did use a sweetener (in coffee or whatnot), we used sugar. When I was in high school, my mom started weight-watchers and did away with sugar.  In college, I continued using artificial sweetener in my coffee and tea.

I don't remember exactly when I tried Splenda for the first time, but it was sometime in either late college or after I had graduated. It was instant love. It was made from a derivative of my old friend sugar. It did not have the yucky after-taste as the aspartame (equal) and saccharin (sweet-n-low) artificial sweeteners I was used to using. (Before any of you gasp and say "a dietitian uses these poisons??!?!" There are no legitimate, double-blind placebo studies (to my knowledge) showing any terrible side-effects (cancer or whatnot) from using a "normal" amount of either of these regularly. Now, if you use cups and cups of the stuff daily, then you may need to read some of those studies not to mention STOP what you are doing... Anyway, now where was I?

This Christmas, Mama and G'mama went to the  Alma Plantation store to get some raw sugar to use as Christmas gifts. They sent the Hubster and I home with a bag and I thanked them and put it up in the pantry with all our other "baking needs". It wasn't until a week or so ago, that I remembered it was up there (SORRY LADIES!) and grabbed it one morning to use in my coffee. It was instant-love. I have always enjoyed my morning coffee. (Community, that is).


Side note: Community coffee is priced OUTRAGEOUSLY here. I know I shouldn't complain since I know many of my family members and followers cannot even  purchase it in the states in which they live. When I say outrageous, I mean it. The small bags (sorry, but I cannot remember the size) are $6-8 depending on any sale going on that particular day. For Christmas, the Hubster and I received two, 2lb bags of the good stuff from Mama and G'mama. (I believe they cost $9 each!) Those ladies sure do know the way to our hearts!! We are totally getting ripped off in Texas... But anyway, back to my story...

So, I have been enjoying my Alma raw sugar every morning now and loving every moment of it. I have read much research on the subject of artificial sweeteners and some that are most interesting focus on the fact that some artificial sweeteners cause you to "crave" sugar. Some people have documented cravings of sugary foods after using artificial sweeteners in their diet. The thought behind the theory is that you want something sweet so you essentially "trick" your body by using artificial sweeteners and your body does not get the satisfaction it was looking for, so you continue to crave sweet foods. I have seriously noticed that since I have been using the raw sugar in my coffee (instead of Splenda) I have been craving less and less sweet foods. Of course, it may completely be the "placebo effect" but whatever it is, I don't care! :)

Besides the decrease in sweet cravings, I also love the grounded feeling the Alma sugar gives me. According to Wikipedia (terrible source, I know, I know) Alma Plantation is one of 12 fully-functioning sugar plantations left in Louisiana. It is located in Pointe Coupee Parish (where I was born and raised). My great-grandpa Frank (Papa) Guidroz worked at the plantation in the Sugar Mill for 40 years. He was in charge of the sugar room.
Source: google images

When I use this sugar in my coffee, I feel a little closer to home and all the people and things that I miss there. This sugar transports me 275 miles (thanks Google Maps!) back to my house and back to drinking coffee in Mama's familiar and cozy kitchen and back to after-supper coffee at my Nanny's house.  Where I always sat in the same spot, at the head of the table opposite from my Boo at the other end. I can still remember where the six of us sat on Sundays when we would all eat there together. My Boo at the head of the table, to his left, Nanny, then Mama, me at the head, then to my left my Uncle Scotty and Pee to his left. Where someone always asked "if I make a pot of coffee will y'all drink some?".  And where one day Hubster and I will sit with our children around that same table but in a different house.

Amazing what a little piece of home and your memories can do to you! Now enough about me...
What feels like "home" to you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know me, I must admit that I became teary eyed when I read this post. Drinking coffee with loved ones is one of my favorite ways to pass time. Love and kisses, Mama

Anonymous said...

COMH, I so loved this entry!! I love the molasses taste of the raw brown sugar. When we were children, Papa Guidroz used to take us to the Alma Sugar Mill. We got to ride in a locomotive engine they used there. And we always got to scoop up a handful of that fabulous raw brown sugar, right out of the pile it was being blown into. Yummy!! It tastes very close to chewing on a stalk of sugar cane. Love, Pee AKA your G'mama

Unknown said...

Sitting with coffee in the morning is my all time favorite activity. Thank god I convinced Paul to start drinking it!

Unknown said...

Betsy, Jim was the same way when we met! He would drink it every once in awhile, but now he is the one who makes it each morning! Glad we can be such great influences on our Hubbies :) :)