Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Coffee Filter Wreath: Just In Time For Spring!


I saw this pin on Pinterest last week and knew this sweet little wreath would look perfect over the mirror in our living room. I immediately decided that I would make this over the weekend.

The author of the original blog post placed her wreath over a mirror and I simply thought it was adorable and knew I couldn't live without it. Ok maybe that was a little exaggerated, but I really liked it! I told Mama right away to stay tuned as I was going to attempt to make this wreath. Well, auto-correct had other plans so you can imagine my surprise when her response was "oh, well, that sounds interesting". I thought it was sort of a weird response until I saw that my lovely iPhone had auto-corrected my text to read that I was going to make a "coffee foyer wreath". She said she pictured a wreath with tiny coffee decorations all over it in a little nook by our front door. Funny lady sure does have a good imagination, I guess that's where I get it!!

I also thought it was perfect for spring, which by the way is here in full force! My Indian Hawthorne bushes are bursting with blooms, my fig tree has tons of buds on it and my bottle brush trees should be blooming at any moment!

Sorry about the side note there but can you tell I'm excited about spring?! I've already taken pics on my phone of all my blooms so look for those to pop up here...

Ok, so back to the wreath. I already had some coffee filters at home but I was worried I wouldn't have enough to complete the wreath. I was also worried I would use them all and wake up Sunday morning to Hubster making a pot of coffee using paper towels- no bueno- been there done that and don't want to do it again. So I headed out to Wally-World to pick up a pack. I also grabbed a wreath form from Micheals (for $.99). I used the same wreath form I used here to make my cinnamon stick wreath. I prepared my work area by ripping out pages from whatever sort of magazine I had on hand- this happened to be Ballard Designs...

After my table was covered with these lovely pages, I got to work. I broke out Chris Cagle radio on Pandora and started gluing away. I separated the coffee filters and by holding the bottom in one hand just worked to "scrunch" each one. There is no real science to this. Just kind of pinch the bottom together and then glue it to the wreath. Here is the wreath about halfway through.

I also noticed pretty quickly that I worked faster if I "scrunched" about 5-10 of the filters at a time and laid them on the side. This way I could put lots of glue and work faster at one time.


This project took me less than thirty minutes start to finish and this even includes the time it took me to hang it on the mirror with my pretty new ribbon!

 This wreath was probably the easiest project I have ever done! This is also one of my favorite projects. The wreath is simply adorable.


The bestie and her family came over Sunday to hang out and were also very complimentary of it. I think it adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the mirror. I absolutely love it and hope you do too if you choose to make one of your own!

Check out http://www.pinsreviewed.blogspot.com/ very soon to check out this review and see how many stars I give this pin!

1 comment:

Stephanie Y. said...

Wow! It looks great Liz! Can't wait to read the pin review. :)