Thursday, March 15, 2012

Registered Dietitian Day!

Happy RD day to all my fellow RD's out there! (Well, actually RD day was yesterday, but I have been a little under the weather lately, so please forgive me!) March is National Nutrition Month (and apparently also Colorectal Cancer Awareness month per one of my favorite Gastroenterologists) and this year's theme is "Get Your Plate in Shape!"

Each March, the staff at our hospital get excited, wondering and asking what we will be doing this year to celebrate. In the past we have had weekly celebrations that took place each Friday of the month, a professional chef come in and prepare delicious three course meals, nutrition quizzes with great prizes, etc, etc. Well, this year sort of snuck up on us, so our celebration was a little smaller than usual, but still fun!

We had our 4th Annual National Nutrition Month Kickoff party on March 9th (last Friday). (Wow, I can't believe I am going into my 4th year working here...)

Our kitchen prepared fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits in different flavors (peach, pineapple, lemon, mixed berry and strawberry).They were a huge hit and each one was gone by the end of the party. Don't ask us about the nutritional facts because I'm sure they were loaded with fat and sugar, but they sure were tasty!

We had pens, cups, flyers, book marks, stickers and nutrition information available. We also had nutrition questions and games for everyone to play.

It turned out to be pretty fun for something we sort of  threw together at the last minute :)


So, in honor of National Nutrition Month, I challenge you to make ONE healthy change in your life this month! Ok, ok I will go first... I am making sure I drink enough water daily and cutting out snacking unless it is healthy snacking. What are you going to do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that "parfait" means "perfect" in English? I think that treat is accurately named! Pee

Unknown said...

what a gorgeous picture! And those parfaits look delicious. to the comment above- i had no idea that's what the word meant. Fun fact! And I agree- they deserve that name. yum! xo

Unknown said...

Pee- I had no idea! I will have to rember that!

Lovebirds- thanks for stopping by! I love your blog and started following you today. :)