Saturday, December 15, 2012

Trey's Nursery Reveal

Nurseries are one of people's favorite things to ask you about when you are pregnant. I realize that while most people have themes for their nurseries, we did and do not. I don't consider myself a "theme" person, not that there is anything wrong with people who are! Take our home for example, it is filled with things that we love, things that are cozy and that make us feel at home. We do not have matching furniture and art on the walls from expensive stores. We have things in our home that we like and enjoy. While most things in our home "go" well together, much of what we own are hand-me-downs, antique store finds or things we have inherited over the years.

Early on during my pregnancy I started scouring the web for nursery ideas. I came across a very calming nursery that was painted grey with white bead board underneath a chair rail. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. And so the designing began...

Welcome!


Trey's nursery is a mix of old and new. I knew I wanted it to be very calming with light, neutral colors. (You know, so he will eventually want to sleep in here...ALL NIGHT!) This is one view of his nursery from the closet. 


This window came from my mom's house, the cotton wreath was made by our good friend Mrs Jenn and the little banner was made by Trey's Nanny; it says "fall in love". You can also see the crib skirt I made from an antique grain sack.


Close-up shot of his crib. I had this same Jenny Lind crib as a child (except mine was a dark brown drop-side death trap). It's a miracle we all turned out so well considering all the "dangerous" things we had and/or played with as children! ;)


This is my grandpa's footlocker from when he was in the Air Force. It has his name on the side. We are using it as a little side table next to the glider.


This gallery wall is next to the glider and ottoman. It holds many things near and dear to us: our godchild Adelle's hand print, maternity photo of Hubby and I, a painting by Trey's great-grandma O'Meara, a photo of Lucky, a photo of Trey's great-grandpa Major riding his tractor and some of Daddy's duck stamps. The frame at the bottom left will eventually hold a print with a quote from "Simple Man".


Trey's bookshelf is used for holding little gifts he has received, photos of him and books. We try to read to him as much as possible. He is really starting to look at the books when we read to him (if he is awake!). His room ended up having teal and red accents even though it sort of just happened that way. I was buying and collecting things I liked and next thing I knew I had added lots of red and teal.


The shelves hold special things like this bear from Trey's Aunt Sarrie and this Louisiana four seasons print I made from a "borrowed" design I saw on my cousin Katherine's T-shirt.


His shelf also holds pacifiers- very important- and his cousin Braxton's handkerchief which serves as a constant reminder that Braxton is always looking down on him from heaven.


Some of Trey's books.


I had been wanting this basket for quite some time and finally broke down and bought it. For now, it houses blankets in Trey's nursery.


Another thing I had been wanting for a while is this shelf from Hobby Lobby. Before we were even pregnant I knew it would be just perfect over a changing table to store diapers and what-not. I love how it brings some rustic industrial charm to the room!


Here is the shelf and changing table. The changing table was something I also had before we found out we were pregnant. It is an old enamel top cabinet with belly drawers. I will have to post a before picture as you will not believe what it used to look like! We had to sand it down quite a bit as we were pretty sure it was full of lead paint. It was the biggest project I have tackled thus far, but I love the way it turned out.


Here you can see the arrow sign I found on sale at Kirlands for less than $20, a little puppy dog and old blue mason jar with burlap flowers on the shelf. To the left of the shelf is a Louisiana thread-art print I made so Trey will always know where his roots lie. Under the shelf is a photo of Jim as a baby with his dad (Trey's namesakes) and a family photo of the three of us in the hospital.


I got the idea to use a cute valve for a curtain tie-back after seeing my cousin Katherine use them in her boys' bathroom for towel hooks. 


We decided to take the door off the closet to give us more room and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. We added a curtain for when Trey's closet is less-than picture perfect, we can just close the curtain.


This kiddo has more clothes than Hubby and I combined! 


Loving all that purple and gold hanging in there!


Here is another overview photo of the nursery. 


And here is our glider. I knew I wanted a glider that was like a regular chair, not a wooden rocker-type. All the ones I wanted were way out of our price range and I simply could not justify spending that kind of money on a glider....until I found this gem at Wal-Mart for HALF the price of the others. We scooped it up and got the matching ottoman as well. I am SO glad we did. I find myself in here a lot just relaxing or feeding Trey.

In this photo you can also see the valence we made out of an antique grain sack. I will be posting a tutorial for that and the crib skirt soon.


Well we hope you enjoyed our nursery tour. We simply love the way it came out. Come by and visit (in person!!!) anytime, we'd love to see you!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Trey does have a cosy nursery. I love sitting in there-it is wonderful place to rock a baby or read a book :)! I love you all

Emily said...

Love love love it!!! So calming. Clean and simple. It turned out great!!! You are so crafty and creative!!! Love you guys!

Blondie said...

Oooo, Trey's nursery looks so peaceful and nuturing!!! I just love how you mix old with new and make it work so well!!

My Texas Krewe is growing and I love each and every one of y'all!!!

Janie

Sharon said...

It looks so relaxing and calm. I love how you've set it up. It's fun to see all the reasons you added things too. I can't wait to meet Trey and see it in person. ILY

Stephanie Y. said...

Not surprisingly, it looks adorable! Great job! I bet Trey loves it. :)