August 17th was a remarkable day.
It was a day we had all been looking forward to but feeling anxious about for months.
Our family and close friends came together at Lafayette General before the sun rose to wait for a special little boy's entrance into the world. The day was full of excitement, anxiety, and both happiness and sadness.
The morning started with prayer and I don't think any of us stopped praying at all that day. I brought my rosary from Italy (blessed by the pope) and Grandpa O'Meara's frame as well.
Braxton Michael (5 lb 12 oz and 17 in long) was born at 7:44am on Friday morning. I will never forget seeing the first picture of he and his mom. The thing that stood out the most in the photo was his full head of long dark hair.
He was born "crying and has more hair than John O" per Tim when he came out to give us the report. Brent later told us that he came out peeing...what a lil dude... :)
We were told the doctors expected his outcome to be the same, but that he was on oxygen and doing as well as could be expected. We once again joined hands in prayer.
He had the tiniest little features, long eyelashes, coal-black eyes and was simply perfect.
He was baptized in the O'Meara christening gown that our parents and we were all baptized in. I love that Trey will get to wear it next. I feel it's even more special that way.
We all got to meet him. First in a hurried rush, then as the day went on and he fought harder and harder, we got to spend more time with him.
I will always remember his little cry and holding him in my arms. He was just so warm and I couldn't stop kissing his little head and snuggling him close. I told him who I was and all about how amazing his mom and dad were. I told him about his cousin Trey as well. He just looked up at me with his huge dark eyes the whole time as I spoke to him. He had the darkest eyes, just like coal.
The day went on and we were told he was getting weaker and weaker. We thought the inevitable would be soon, but still the lil guy hung on. The doctors told us he wasn't in pain and that he was most comfortable in Sarah's arms, so we stopped passing him around and just let him be.
As hours passed, more and more prayers were said. There were close to 40 people in that waiting room and at multiple times during the day we joined our hands in prayer.
At 3 pm, Braxton joined Jesus in heaven. I can't put it into words, but when I heard he passed, a peaceful feeling came over me. I felt as if he was whole, he was no longer defined by a diagnosis, but he was beautiful and perfect. I pictured our loved ones welcoming him with open arms. My heart and soul were at peace.
It was a difficult day to say the least, but I wouldn't have traded being there for the world. I am so thankful to Brent and Sarah for allowing us to be such a big part of Braxton's birthday.
I know none of us will ever forget this special little boy and all the amazing things he accomplished in such a short time. He strengthened his parents' marriage, brought us all closer to each other and God and re-affirmed our belief in miracles. The little boy who was expected to live only minutes surprised everyone and fought to stay on earth for 7 hours. That in itself is a miracle.
I think about Braxton every day. I know that he will be all of ours, but especially Trey's very special guardian angel.
Braxton was laid to rest last Wednesday surrounded by loved ones and was celebrated by a special mass and balloon release Saturday morning.
August 17th will always be remembered by our family as a very special day. Braxton will always have a special place in my heart as his mom and I got to share in our pregnancies together.
In memory of Braxton Michael Bergeron August 17, 2012-August 17 2012

7 comments:
Liz, thank you for sharing this. I am so glad to hear about your experience. Obviously I was in Maryland, but prayed throughout the day and felt a similar peace too. It's interesting to hear that you felt it as well. God is good. :) I love you!
Tears are flowing as I read your beautiful tribute and think about Braxton, our special guardian angel. Love to all
Such a sweet tribute! He is definitely a blessing and will be a wonderful guardian angel for you and your family. Love you!
Liz, what a beautiful post!!!! Thank you for sharing as we were all thinking of Braxton. Love all the pictures. He sure had a lot of hair!!! Hugs to all of you!
Beautifully written with love, Liz. I cried through the whole thing. Thamk you for sharing this story!
In the midst of crying I burst out laughing when you said Braxton had more hair than John O because that was my exact thought when I first saw is picture!!! He is now whole and perfect in the arms of his family in heaven.
Jane
Beautiful post Liz, thank you for sharing that day with us.
Post a Comment