Sunday, August 5, 2012

What's In A Name?

It's a discussion all couples have, at some point in their relationship. No matter if they're dating, engaged or married for years, the baby-name conversation is bound to come up. It may be one of the toughest decisions, since this one choice, made by two parents, effects your child's entire life... Many thoughts invade your head- can it be made fun of? can the initials spell something vulgar? can it rhyme with anything offensive? It's enough to drive you nuts-o and keep you up at night! 

Once people find out the gender of your child, their next question is "have you named him?!" Well, actually, we named him before we found out his gender, but wanted to keep it a secret for a little while! :) It was sort of fun to have our own little secret before we shared with everyone else. Some close family and friends know his name since we wouldn't try to keep it a secret when they would ask, but up until this point we haven't really "announced" it yet. 

 Both Hubby and I have always been fans of family names and have planned for quite some time to name our children family names. Hubby is the "second", named after his dad. I have always loved the idea of having a "third". I think it's such a sweet tradition and I really didn't want the name to stop with him. I also think it's such a nice way to honor his dad, who has passed. I have also always loved the idea of flipping my dad's name around and naming a baby boy John Michael and actually calling him by his double-name. It would also honor a dear friend of mine who we suddenly lost in college and all miss very much. 

So, going into our gender OB appointment, we had two really great options for boy names. Hubby and I had thought it over and decided if our first born is a boy, and we want to continue the tradition of his name, he will need to be the third. We decided if we ever have another son, he will be named after my dad. 

Hubby's immediate family already has a few people named with derivatives of "James". (His dad was called "Jimmy", him "Jim" and his sister is Jamie. This being said, we knew if we continued their name, we would want to call him something different....I grew up knowing guys who were the "third" and called Trey. I actually didn't even know what their real names were until later in life. 

One night, when discussing baby names, we both came to the decision that we were in love with the idea of our baby being the third and calling him Trey. Trey, after all, means "three". Not to mention, his name will sound darn pretty good being announced overhead at a football  game ;)

When the sonographer said "It's a BOY!" Mama, Pee and Jim all at the same time said "It's Trey!" The sonographer asked if he would be the third, and we were excited that someone immediately understood the connection with the name. 

Once we decided on Trey, all other names sounded silly. We threw out a few more suggestions, but we didn't like any of them nearly as much. Right then, we were decided, our baby boy would be named after his daddy but always called Trey!

Jim and Mr. Jimmy (1983-1984?)

We have been calling Baby J Trey for quite a few weeks now and it just feels right. Everyone we have told has loved the name and we are just thrilled with it. Of course I have some ideas floating around for how to incorporate his name into the nursery....

For example, I bought "1" and "2" of these sweet little galvanized buckets then went back and purchased the "3" after finding out we were having a boy. I thought it was a cute yet subtle hint at his name, and plus they will be very functional to hold little odds and ends in his nursery. 

As today is my dad's birthday, I thought it would be a good day to announce the little man's name. :)  I know my dad is is smiling down on both the person I have become and I know he would absolutely love Jim as well. I am saddened that Trey has so many loved ones in heaven that he will never know, but I am comforted in the fact that he will always have so many special angels watching over him. 

As I sit here typing this, Trey is going crazy, moving all around and kicking like a little maniac. I guess he is in agreement with his name ;) I can't wait for our little love to get here and see the person he will be... besides Trey of course! :)



5 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Liz, I was thinking about you today on your Dad's birthday. I think your Dad would love the name Trey too. I can't wait to meet Trey in person. Love to you and Jim and Trey.

Anne McConnell said...

I love love love the name Trey for that sweet baby boy!! What a perfectly fitting tribute! Can't wait to meet him! :)

Cindy said...

You are so right, your dad is smiling down on you, Jim and Trey as well as Lucky. I can only imagine the conversations that go on daily in heaven among our special guardian angels! I can't wait to meet Trey, the son of two remarkable people! I love you all

Anonymous said...

Trey is such a manly name!! LOVE it!! All our angels are smiling down at Trey, his mama, and his daddy! Love y'all! (Pee)

Blondie said...

Trey will grow up knowing his angels by all the wonderful memories we have of them. Sharing stories will be so much fun for all of us!!!!

Janie