Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tommy's Oyster House and Grill

Hubby and I decided to have ourselves a lil date night last Friday night. My friend Camilla gave me a gift card to Tommy's Oyster House before she left and I realized that we hadn't used it yet. We were talking about char grilled oysters among other deliciousness last week and this mama started getting hungry. When I got a text from Hubby on Friday regarding a date night at Tommy's, I was on it like white on rice.

I promptly started researching Googling "charbroiled oysters during pregnancy" and came up with overwhelming wonderful facts stating these little gems are fully-cooked and safe during pregnancy. Holla!

Growing up in South LA, oysters were something we ate a lot of. My G'mama would fry them quite often for us. We also tend to indulge in them at Drago's or Acme on most NOLA trips to this day. Hubby has found a place near our house that had "pretty good" charbroiled oysters, but even living a couple of miles from the gulf, doesn't mean the oysters will be prepared like you're used to...

So anyway, flash forward to Friday night at Tommy's. We arrived to find they have $5 dozen oysters on the half shell on Tuesdays and Fridays- which is a pretty dern awesome price! Neither Hubby nor myself like the little slimers raw, but that would have been pretty great for those of you who like that sort of thing...

We started off with a dozen charbroiled oysters and were questioned by our waiter if we meant "grilled" oysters. "Um, yeah, that's what I meant", says Hubby and soon we were served this amazing plate.



We usually try to eat on the lighter side when we get an appetizer like this, but Friday was special, it was date night. It was a chance for us to share in a delish meal together for no special occasion, and it was perfect.

The waiter came around and told us about the special: red fish (broiled, blackened or grilled) topped with a lump crab meat, fresh and sun dried tomato sauce, with fresh corn, steamed broccoli and carrot souffle.
We looked at each other briefly and then both ordered the special and cleaned our plates- no dish washing required...


But, we didn't stop there. We also ordered the creme brulee and ate the entire thing. Again, no dish washing required.

We had a great night and promptly headed home, food-drunk to pass out each on our designated couch. All in all, it was a perfect night with the Hubs :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!!! But they served the charbroiled oysters on a bed of rock salt instead of smothered in butter n garlic for sopping up with French bread?? Oh, no!! Uh Uh!! Last night Melissa and I went to PF Chang's and indulged!!! Love y'all! (Pee)

Stephanie Y. said...

Sopping with french bread is the best part!

I'm glad you guys had such a special night. Feels good to go out and splurge every once in a while.